ON THIS BLOG YOU WILL FIND INFORMATION AND REVIEWS OF ARTWORK CREATED BY CONTEMPORARY ARTISTS AND OLD MASTERS WHO INVESTIGATE AND DESCRIBE EROTICISM IN VARIOUS MEDIA.

Wednesday 2 March 2011

Old Masters - Klimt

The first post in the Old Masters Series is about the great symbolist painter Gustav Klimt, who is perhaps most famous for his involvement in the Vienna Secession Movement.

Klimt´s work is interesting because it continues to inspire both artists and art lovers to this day. Klimt´s work is sensual and seductive and the often gently unfolding eroticism presents itself very decoratively providing a subtle and inoffensive manner. Nevertheless, it is clear when you look at Klimts work that he was not merely interested in formal qualities. As a Symbolist painter Klimt clearly had an interest in conveying a deeper meaning beyond what was plainly visible.


I have the gift of neither the spoken nor the written word, especially if I have to say something about myself or my work. Whoever wants to know something about me -as an artist, the only notable thing- ought to look carefully at my pictures and try and see in them what I am and what I want to do.

Gustav Klimt


The fact that Klimt invites the spectators of his paintings to ponder the meaning of the work in a sense opens up the work. It is up to you what to make of it – some of the work is more obvious than others though.



Danae, 1907-08.



Hope I, 1903.



Judith I, 1901.


The Kiss, 1907-08.


The Blood of Fish, 1898.


Drawing: Reclining female.



Drawing: Female pleasuring herself.


Drawing: Halfsleeping female.


Did you enjoy this post? Do you want to see and hear more about artists working with erotic art?

If you visit eroticartlover.com you can sign-up to our newletter where we keep our subscribers up to date with information about upcoming talks and lectures about erotic art. We´ll also let you know every time there is a new post on the blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment